[kepler-dev] Documentation and XML

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 1 13:00:13 PST 2007

Hey Kepler devs,

I just spent the last day cleaning up all of the source documentation so
that it will render correctly when passed through an xml parser.  All of
the ptolemy and kepler source files should now have valid xml in the
javadocs (with a couple exceptions that I'm still working on).  When you
are documenting code, please make sure that you use valid xml from now
on in your javadocs.  Don't use ampersands (use & instead) and make
sure you use &lt; and &gt; if you you want a < or > to render.  If you
don't, an xml parser will interpret those as xml tags and will throw
errors.  Also, all tags (including <br>) must be closed!  Please do not
leave open <p> or <li> tags in the documentation.  Any line breaks
(<br>) must use the <br/> notation to close the tag.  Also, please use
lower case tag names and if you do use an upper case tag, close it with
an upper case.  <p></P> is not valid.

Once again, this goes for any javadoc documentation (anything inside a
/**   */ documentation block) either for classes, members or methods.

If everyone keeps their docs clean, it will make parsing documentation
much easier in the future.

thanks,
chad