[kepler-dev] Naming Conventions for Actors?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 3 21:35:54 PDT 2007

Hi Glen,
There are a couple of different issues here, I can address the Ptolemy
issues.  Kepler uses Ptolemy, so some of the actors are Ptolemy
actors.

Ptolemy has a style guide at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/doc/coding/style.htm
that says that Java classes and variables should use CamelCase names.
We don't abbreviate words, so the words should be complete words.

Parameters can have a Java name and a separate display name that can
have spaces.

Kepler has similar, though slightly different styles, see
http://www.kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SoftwareDevelopmentGuidelines

I'm not that sure about the style of the Kepler Guide.

In the Ptolemy design docs, I usually stick with the Java CamelCase
name, but that is because I'm a Java programmer, so I write for
other Java programmers.  The Kepler docs could easily use a different
style.

_Christopher

--------

    As a new person, I often feel embarrassed about asking questions that
    may or may not be "tribal knowledge." Sometimes I only need directed
    to a document or site that I may not be aware of to get the answers
    that I need.

    Some of my more "nit-picky" notes that I have found, with fresh eyes
    to the project, include the confusion with the "SummaryStatistics"
    actor [Notice no space].

    Almost all other actors in the Guide followed a convention that
    included spaces, and capitalized the first letter of every word. When
    looking at a nightly build, I see the actors in Components -> Data
    Input -> Local Input, for example, have a mix of conventions. Most are
    of the convention mentioned, like "Binary File Reader", "Current
    Time," and "Directory Listing." Others omit the spaces, similar to
    some Object Oriented naming conventions (which is obviously
    appropriate) like "ClimateChangeFileProcessor" and
    "ClimateFileProcessor."

    I am assuming from the sheer number of actors of the first convention,
    the standard includes spaces and that external actors like
    "ClimateChangeFileProcessor" and "ClimateFileProcessor" all came from
    the same source that did not follow the convention. Am I incorrect?

    Where can I find naming conventions and programming guidelines? They
    are obviously important because, as an end-user, there is a different
    searching behavior (and returned results) depending upon how an actor
    is named.

    Again, thank you to everyone thus far that has been extremely helpful.

    Warmest Regards,

    Glen Jarvis
    --
    913-486-8775
    glen at glenjarvis.com
    http://www.glenjarvis.com

    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi