[kepler-dev] Globus Actors

Nayden Markatchev nayden at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Mon Oct 30 13:32:25 PST 2006

Hello,

I am new to Kepler and PII and I am impressed by both!

Our group is experimenting with workflows in the Globus universe and so
far we have been using a combination of Condor-G, and Perl scripts to make
this work. Although we are able to create somewhat generic workflows I
think that Kepler could be a better and more general solution to our
problem, so I am giving it a try.

Similarly to Lance De Vine(discussion quoted in the end of this message),
I run into the not signed jar file problem when I tried to run a simple
Globus job.  This problem ceased to appear when I removed the jce*.jar
files from my $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib and $KEPLER_HOME/cog directories.

Now when I try to run the Globus Job I am getting the following error.
Error submitting job: class
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException:String index out of range: -1

My guess is that this has something to do with the way the RSL string is
specified.  My other guess is that the error is due to the fact
that the Globus actors have become obsolete.  Could someone help me figure
out which one is the case and how can I fix this?  I will much appreciate.

nayden

PS. my setup is rather simple -- I have a GlobusProxy actor that
provides a GlobusJob actor with a Globus proxy certificate.  The GlobusJob
actor simply runs the whoami command on a remote Grid-enabled host.

Hi Lance,

The Globus actors are outdated at the moment and needs to be redesigned.

We've been having this problem for a long time, but haven't fixed it
as the actor wasn't required by any workflows.

Did you try using a static IP machine?

-ilkay