[kepler-dev] Auto configuring actors for registered services?

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Thu Mar 23 13:49:08 PST 2006

Hi, All,

I am working on a project which will use many external services. These
external services may have implementations in one or more of the following
categories: programs on the local machine, programs accessible on the
remote server, and web/Grid services. Instead of creating actors for each
of those external services, I'd like to use a general-purpose execute
actor that is able to get the service information, auto configue itself,
and call the program service accordingly.

So in my design, I first need a registry to record all of the info about
the external services, such as the service type (local program, remote
program, web/Grid service), service location (program path/name, service
URL, etc.), and input/output parameter sets. These infomation should be
stored in a XML file. And the registry should provide the user an
interface to register/edit/port the info of any registry entries. Does
anybody have any suggestions/recommendations on the implementation of the
registry? Or any code/experience that I can "borrow"?

Then I need to build an actor that can auto configure itself to adapt to
different services. The configuration should include functions that call
different services according to the service type, set the parameters and
input/output ports for the actor, and change the display of the actor
icon/ports. I know the webservice actor can somehow auto configure itself
when the user setups the web service URL. Is there any other examples that
I can learn from?

Your suggestions/comments will be highly appreciated!

Regards,

Zhijie