[kepler-dev] composite actors as kar files

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 30 15:34:37 PST 2006

Hi,

I've been struggling all day with how exactly I should package up a
composite actor as a kar file.  Composites differ from atomics in that
the "class" is a moml file.  If you "open" (or "look inside" or
whatever) a composite and then change that composite, you will be
prompted to save the composite actor.  When you save it, you do not only
modify that instance of the composite, but all instances, since you are
changing the moml class file.  (You can try this with Sinewave.)

When I create a kar file for an atomic, i only save the moml part of the
actor (user set params, ports, etc) since the user can't change the
atomic java source code.  This is also possible with a composite, except
that any changes made inside the composite will be lost because the
class will not be saved in the kar, only the moml description of the class.

One approach I have tried is to save the class and the description
within the kar.  This would require us to alter the current kar system
because the class would have to be loaded from the kar file before it
could be intantiated in the system.  I'm not sure how much work this
will be.

One thing that comes to mind is the instantiation system in ptii, where
the composite "class" has a pink border around it and you have to
"instantiate" that composite before using it.  I'm assuming this creates
a new copy of the composite instead of writing changes to the original
moml file, but i'm not sure....Can all composites be forced to act in
this manner?  I think the "right" thing to do here is to change the
behavior of the composites so that you are not changing the base class
if you alter the composite.  Instead, the moml should either be
serialized into the workflow or a subclass should be created as a
separate file.

I'm kind of fishing for other ideas at this point because I'm really not
sure how to handle this.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

chad