[kepler-dev] Loading documentation

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 13 12:20:47 PDT 2006

Hi Nandita,

Can we please please please have an extra section that reads the
KEPLER property and then tries to guess wildly about where KEPLER_DOCS
might be?

The reason is that it should be _really_ simple to start up kepler
from a tool like Eclipse.  As it is, we need to set both
the PTII and KEPLER properties to launch Kepler from within Eclipse.

There must be a default location for KEPLER_DOCS relative to KEPLER,
right?

BTW - the way Vergil starts up is that it sets the ptolemy.ptii.dir
property to the value of $PTII.  The reason I chose ptolemy.ptii.dir
is because I want all the Ptolemy properties to be in a particular
namespace.  I encourage Kepler to do the same.  The reason I use
ptolemy.ptii.dir is that I've had to change environment variables in
the past, Ptolemy Classic had $ARCH, which conflicted with everything,
so we had to change it to $PTARCH - thus, by using a longer name, I
avoid conflicts (yes the odds of conflicting with PTII and KEPLER are
low but . . .) .  Also, if all the Ptolemy properties start with
ptolemy.* then it is easier to manage the Ptolemy properties, for
example the view jdk properties menu choice in Ptolemy sorts the
properties and it is obvious which are Ptolemy and which are java.

It might be nice if Kepler use ptolemy.ptII.dir instead of PTII, but
it is not a bug to use PTII.

_Christopher

--------

    Nandita,
        Hmm - the code should take care of the problem, but when I remove
    the file, the docs don't show up!  And since I have a KEPLER_DOCS env
    variable, it should never get called! I'll dig into it.

    Thanks for the info.

    Dan

    Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
    http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
    National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Scienc
   e Building - Room 3405
    Santa Barbara, CA 93195