[kepler-dev] GIS/GDAL question

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:11:23 PST 2005

Hi All,

    Any GIS/GDAL experts out there?

    As part of the ENM/GARP workflows, we need to read and re-project
some *.bil raster files. We are using some GDAL code in actors to do
this. The problem is that one of the *.bil input files is specified with
NBITS=32 in the *.hdr file. GDAL apparently assumes that NBITS=32
corresponds to 32-bit floating point data, but some other applications
assume it is 32 bit INT data!

    The data is apparently 32 bit INTs. Is *.bil data always INT data?
(It allows 8 and 16 bit data which are integers; I see no way of
specifying what 32 bit data represents.) Is there any way in GDAL (eg
GDALWARP) to set the assumed input datatype? (i.e. tell GDAL to assume
INT rather than FLOAT?)

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195