[kepler-dev] Collaboration on distributed Kepler?

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 16 14:52:57 PDT 2005

Hi, sorry about the delay in getting this working, I got
totally hammered with setting up for the TRUST conference
and had to stop part way through setting up the distributed
directory.

The Ptolemy nightly build worked fine because it uses make,
and I was hoping to have time to quickly fix the Eclipse build,
but I totally forgot about the Kepler build!

I guess I should wear the darn "I broke the build" hat.
Maybe I'll bring it to the Kepler meeting :-)

Anyway, I updated configure.in, configure, mk/ptII.mk.in,
bin/ptinvoke.in and added makefiles to the distributed/ directories.

I also checked the jini jar files in to $PTII/lib.  The
size was about 1Mb, which is pretty much my cutoff for adding
things $PTII/lib.  In many ways, adding the jar files to
$PTII/ptolemy/distributed/jini makes a certain amount of sense
but what held me back was that if we had another package that
used jini we would have a dependency issues.

I'm building now under Cygwin and Eclipse to check my work.

The history of Jini and the Ptolemy project is worth a quick
discussion.

We had at least two Jini related directories:
ptolemy/actor/lib/jspaces
ptolemy/domains/ct/demo/jspaces/CarTracking

configure was looking for jini1.0 in ptII/sun/vendors

ptII/bin/startjini is a script that starts up the Jini service.

However, the code used Jini-1.0 and when 2.0 came out, no one wanted
to update it, so I've slowly been removing it.  I think there
was some discussion in the Ptolemy logs around March or April 2003.

_Christopher

--------

    Hi again!

    I fixed the errors on the code. It was just some problem with some
    commented code i left at the end of the file, that must have been messed
    up after Christopher ran Jindent. I removed all those leftover pieces of
    code.

    About the jar files, i did not forget about them. I am waiting for
    Christopher to tell me what to do about this...

   ----------------
    Christopher Brooks wrote:

    Depending on the size of the jini jar files, we can possibly include
    them in the release.  I have a mechanism for handling the copyrights,
    which I can add after the code is checked in.

   ----------------

   ----------------
    Daniel Lázaro Cuadrado wrote:

    I forgot to mention there is third library that is required apart of
    jini-core.jar and jini-ext... this one is called *sun-util.jar* and it
    is shipped with Jini 2.0. If this library is not present, no compilation
    errors will be generated since it is used to dynamically load
    configurations from the configuration files, but as soon as you run
    either the server or the client you will get something like this:
    *class not found: com.sun.jini.config.ConfigUtil. *I can provide the
    jars i am using if needed and i think we should think about how to
    create a demo that people can run...

   ----------------

    Christopher... do you think we can create something like
    ptolemy.distributed.jini to contain everything related with jini. That
    is jar files + scripts??? I don't know whether jini is used somewhere
    else in the ptolemy tree, as far as i know there are some other
    actors/models that used it at some point? I found a ptstartjini script
    under bin.

    Daniel

    Matt Jones wrote:

    >Hi Daniel --
    >
    >We're having some trouble with your code in the kepler builds.  It seems
    >that one of the files has a comment that hasn't been closed at the end
    >of the file, and then also that the required JINI jars on which the code
    >depends were not checked into the tree.  Here's the error I get:
    >
    >    [javac] Compiling 2021 source files to
    >/fedora/home/jones/development/ptII/build/classes
    >    [javac]
    >/fedora/home/jones/development/ptII/build/src/ptolemy/distributed/domains/
   sdf/kernel/DistributedSDFDirector.java:735:
    >unclosed comment
    >    [javac] /*
    >    [javac] ^
    >    [javac]
    >/fedora/home/jones/development/ptII/build/src/ptolemy/distributed/domains/
   sdf/kernel/DistributedSDFDirector.java:799: