[kepler-dev] Re: WindowProperties problem on Mac & freezing on Windows

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 29 08:37:42 PDT 2004

I'm running 1.4.2_05 under Windows and I have not seen this, but that
is no surprise

I'm not sure about the type conflict.

About the hang:
Under Windows, when a Java process hangs, typing Control-Break
will print a stack trace. (Unix users, try kill -3 on the PID)
I'm not sure what the corresponding stack trace generation command is
on the Mac.

My guess is that the deadlock is occuring because something is
invoking a Swing method outside of the AWT event thread.
See
http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/threads/threads1.html#single_thread_rule

-Christopher
--------

    Hi All,

    Running a workflow on Mac OS X 10.3.5 with Java 1.4.2_05, I sometimes
    get the following error:

    ptolemy.actor.TypeConflictException: Type conflicts occurred in .PIW on
    the following inequalities:
       (TypeConstant, {bounds = {int}, maximized = boolean}) <=
    (ptolemy.actor.gui.WindowPropertiesAttribute {.PIW._windowProperties}
    {bounds = {21, 47, 1912, 645}, maximized = false}, {bounds = {int},
    maximized = boolean})

    	at
    ptolemy.actor.TypedCompositeActor.resolveTypes(TypedCompositeActor.java:
    293)
    	at ptolemy.actor.Manager.resolveTypes(Manager.java:801)
    	at ptolemy.actor.Manager.preinitializeAndResolveTypes(Manager.java:710)
    	at ptolemy.actor.Manager.initialize(Manager.java:439)
    	at ptolemy.actor.Manager.execute(Manager.java:289)
    	at ptolemy.actor.Manager.run(Manager.java:852)
    	at ptolemy.actor.Manager$2.run(Manager.java:901)

    It's not always reproducible.  It happened to me twice today.  If I
    click it away and try running it again, the problem disappears.  Has
    anyone else seen this problem or know how to fix it?

    On a completely different note, sometimes when I run this same workflow
    on Windows with Java 1.4.2_05, using View -> Run Window, the workflow
    finishes but seems to freeze at the end.  The windows stop redrawing
    themselves and I must forcefully kill Java to get the workflow back.
    This seems to happen when I use the run window.  If I just click the
    red triangle to run the workflow, it doesn't freeze.  Does anyone have
    an idea what might cause this?

    Thanks,
    Xiaowen