[kepler-dev] Re: [SDM-SPA] RFC new directory structure

Xiaowen Xin xin2 at llnl.gov
Wed Mar 17 17:07:19 PST 2004

Hi Mladen,

Actually, right now, new development goes into src/ just like all other
source code.  As long as it compiles and it doesn't disrupt other
people's classes, it's allowed in src/.  But of course this wouldn't
work for the few days/weeks leading up to the release.  We should
probably have a code freeze for a period of time before the release so
that we can all test it and make sure it works.

I think the best way to deal with this is to have branches in CVS.  I
believe this is how most major projects do it.  So we could have a
stable branch, from which we would make a release.  In addition, we
would have a development branch where untested code will go.

So we don't need development directories.  We just need a development
branch in CVS.

While we're on the topic, Zhengang has suggested that we outline a
release schedule and goals for our next release.  I think that's a great
idea because I personally would really like to see a release soon to
give to Matt.  So any suggestions/proposals? =)

Regarding jar files in lib/, yes you're right, we didn't discuss
dividing that up by subproject.  Do you see a need to?

This is also true for bin/, which at the moment isn't a problem because
we have only two files to put in there: runVergil.sh and runVergil.bat.

Xiaowen