[kepler-dev] Kepler distribution?

Tobin Fricke tobin at splorg.org
Mon Jul 19 20:52:07 PDT 2004

Re: The current talk of installers, etc -- Currently the only way (AFAIK)
to get Kepler is to check it out of CVS.  I have made CVS snapshots for my
colleagues who want to play with Kepler:

	cvs checkout kepler
        setenv archive kepler-`date +"%G%m%d"`.tar
	tar -cvf $archive kepler
	gzip -9 $archive
	mv ${archive}.gz ../public_html/archive
	ln -sf ../public_html/{${archive}.gz,kepler-current.tar.gz}

Could we make such snapshots available from the ecoinformatics site,
generated by a cron job that runs periodically? (Even weekly would be
fine.)  Anonymous CVS is another option (more complicated, but more
efficient).

The Kepler CVS snapshot clocks in at 156 Mb uncompressed or 37 Mb gzipped
-- a rather huge distribution!  "du kepler | sort -n" shows that this is
heavily lumped in the 'testdata' (104 Mb) and, specifically,
'testdata/garp' (95 Mb) subdirectories:

8616    kepler/lib/testdata/grass
20355   kepler/docs
23072   kepler/lib/jar
95215   kepler/lib/testdata/garp
104307  kepler/lib/testdata
130860  kepler/lib
159325  kepler

Removing testdata/garp results in tarball that is 63 Mb uncompressed and
34 Mb gzipped.   I guess that test data isn't too entropic. (-:

I think that a tarball distribution for linux is sufficient for (and
preffered by!) most users of that platform, although some kind of
demand-loading Web Start system would also be cool.

Tobin