[kepler-dev] Re: Kepler question

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 19 17:13:57 PDT 2004

Hi Dan,

Daniel Higgins wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>    I think your suggestion is a good one, although keeping our version
> in synch with Ptolemy may indeed be difficult! [But I can't think of a
> better idea.]
>
>    FYI, there are some problems with our current ant build.
Yeah, I know.  When I wrote it, I wrote it fast and intentionally left
stuff out, thinking that we'd eventually figure out why make is so slow.
   Now I think we should add these features in, but possibly in a
different target so that people don't have to run that stuff every time
they build (e.g., javadocs).

For example,
> we don't copy the source into the jar so that the 'Look Inside' command
> doesn't show the source for atomic actors (unless the PTII dir was built
> with 'make') Also, the make build includes building javadocs, which are
> needed for the 'Documentation' menu for actors. Also, there seem to be a
> few icons/images that can't be located with the ant build. It seems that
> one reason the make build takes so long is that it does a number of
> things we don't do yet in the ant build!
Yep. Lets fix that.  Another thing we need to do is check dependencies
for some of the optional Ptolemy features, and include that source in
the build iff the dependencies are satisfied.  For example, java3D,
jxta, matlab all have dependencies that aren't always satisfied -- check
them, and then build if appropriate.  I just hacked it and excluded them
to get stuff running under a somewhat faster build cycle than was
possible using the ptolemy make-based system.  We need to fix my hack.
Lo siento.

>    Also, what do you think about using JavaWebStart for distributing
> Kepler? It seems to work well for Ptolemy and is easier than downloading
> an installer.

I think its a great idea.  Helps a lot with packaging discipline.
However, it doesn't replace a full installer -- JWS is still only
workable for people who kinda understand java and how JWS works.  The
installer with JRE can work for anyone and is more traditional.  One
possibility would be to modify Chad's Anthill builds to export the build
products to a snapshot dir that is configured for JWS, so that each time
a snapshot is  built and passes tests using anthill the web-jws version
is updated -- so nightly builds become easy for others to use.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara