[kepler-dev] Re: Globus Job in Kepler

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:06:53 PDT 2004

Hi Bill,

Well, the best place for help in general is the
kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org mailing list.  All of the developers get
those messages, so somebody there will certainly be able to help you out.

The globus actors we have now are meant to be used for submitting
computational jobs to a managed job service in the GT2 sense.  You can't
really call the GT3 web services style of service this way.  Instead,
what you do is create a job submission script (written in the RSL
language) and send that to the machine on which it should run after
having used the GlobusProxy actor to create a proxy for yourself.  The
example workflow in the Kepler distribution uses this example RSL:

"&(executable=/bin/cat)(arguments=/tmp/pas.local)"

which basically means to run the 'cat' command cagainst the file named
in the /tmp directory.  They try to run it on "griddle.sdsc.edu". Most
people run more interesting executables, such as simulation models, but
this is just an example.  RSL has means for expressing most aspects of
the job, such as where the output goes.  You can find documentation on
RSL on the http://www.globus.org site.

There's a configured example workflow using the Grid actors that ships
with Kepler in "workflows/test/nmiworkflow-example.xml".  This can be
also reached from a link on the main intro page that opens when you
start Kepler.  This workflow shows how the trigger on GlobusJob can be
used to make sure that a data file has been transferred using GridFTP
before the computational job runs.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu