[kepler-dev] Kepler Workflows as Applets

Edward A Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 8 08:57:54 PDT 2004

This is nice, but I have to confess that overall we've been pretty
disappointed with applets as a mechanism for distributing Ptolemy II
models...

An alternative that seems to work better is to create webstart
distributions.  These can be linked to from an ordinary web page,
but run local code, and update the code only when it is out of
date (vs. applets that will download the code anytime you invoke
them in a new instance of the browser).  The result is fully
interactive...

Moreover, we can use this as a mechanism for users to create
their own models by modifying the demo ones. A configuration
can be provided with specialized libraries and help pages to
address a particular problem area...

Edward