[kepler-dev] Re: zero-length arrays

Stephen Andrew Neuendorffer neuendor at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 12 09:31:33 PDT 2004

>ouch... is that how Haskell and other Hindley Milner (HM) type systems
>would do it? But then again, maybe HM is not the best for the very
>flexible needs in a Ptolemy/Kepler like system... not sure..

The Ptolemy type system is not HM...  In certain cases,
it would be really nice to have HM-like type inference (this is probably
better when
you have functionTokens for instance, a hinley milner type system would
infer the
right type for the function as: forall alpha, alpha->alpha or something...

I agree, having zero length arrays and empty records is important.  There
are ways
to do it in the current type system that are perhaps not as elegant as in a
HM type
system, but they would still work.