[tcs-lc] difference between IsParentOf/IsChildOf; and Includes/IsIncludedIn RelationshipTypes?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 22 22:12:54 PDT 2005

I think one of the standards of practice in general will be only establish
the most proximate relationships -- regardless of whether you use
parent/child or includes/included in.

For example, if I establish that my concept of genus Centropyge is included
in family concept Pomacatnhidae, and that family concept Pomacanthidae is
included in order concept Perciformes, I shouldn't also establish an
explicit relationship that Centropyge is included in Perciformes.

Similar with vernacular names -- I don't think it should be encouraged
(though it's certainly not prohibited) to establish a relationship of "Aus
bus is included in vernacular Rotifer", if we already have a hierarchical
chain connecting Aus bus, to Rotifera, and separately connecting vernacular
"rotifer" to scientific "Rotifera".

Rich