[tcs-lc] difference between IsParentOf/IsChildOf; and Includes/IsIncludedIn RelationshipTypes?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 22 02:37:50 PDT 2005

> I would only create the child of from your own genus i.e A8 - A4
> If you wanted to make a statement about A1,A2,A3 I would specify an
> includes/excludes or whatever between A4 and A1, A2, A3

Right!  Agreed!  So Parent/Child relationships should probably not be
established between two TaxonConcept instances with different AccordingTo's.
Instead, Includes/Included in should be used.

BUT!!! What if I provide a clear definition of "T. thisspecies SEC me", but
I do *not* provide a complete definition for "Thisgenus SEC me".  Do I then
establish an "Is Child" relationship with one of the other (different
AccordingTo) Concepts for "Thisgenus"?  Or do I establish an "Is Child"
relationship to the nominal concept for "Thisgenus"?  Or, do I simply define
an "included in" relationship with one of the other defined concepts of
"Thisgenus"? Or...?

Maybe there is no one correct answer -- but my point here is in trying to
discover what function the Parent/Child RelationshipType serves that is not
essentially identically served by "includes/included in".

Aloha,