[tcs-lc] ZooBank

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Sep 21 12:48:24 PDT 2005

Attached is the full article I mentioned in my previous post, for those who
don't have online access to Nature.  Here also is an excerpt from an email
sent this morning from Andrew Polaszek:

Dear Colleagues,

For your information I am attaching the final version of the Nature
Commentary to be published tomorrow (Thursday 22 September). By the end of
today, this paper and the associated "Technical Discussion Paper" will be
available on the ICZN website. Lynn Raw has put the dedicated ZooBank
discussion site in place as a separate site from the long-standing ICZN one,
and it will be linked from the technical paper. Firstly, my very grateful
thanks to everyone who helped with both documents -  we have made great
progress on this initiative over the last months. Secondly, it would be very
helpful for those of you with contacts in the various science media around
the world to publicise our initiative. The BBC (Radio 4) and the Guardian
will be broadcasting and printing this story respectively tomorrow, and I
have had interest from the Times Higher Education Supplement, New York
Times, and national newspapers in Australia, Switzerland and Brazil. Any
additional positive publicity that can be engendered during this period will
greatly increase our chances of getting support from the taxonomic
community, as well as possible financial support to get ZooBank underway,
and secure the future of the Commission and its work.