[tcs-lc] Proposal: revise ObjectType names in TCS

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Wed Sep 21 02:36:48 PDT 2005

Raised NameObject -> TaxonNameObject as issue 038. In fact I think this
should be TaxonName as we are talking about a data structure that may or
may not be represented as a software object....

Raised Voucher -> Specimen as issue 039.

Personally I have  no problems with these changes. In fact I much prefer
TaxonName. We will need to sit down check the changes don't set off a
chain reaction but can probably get them in version 1 I think.

Roger

Gregor Hagedorn wrote:

>When thinking about how TCS components would integrate into a larger modular
>schema (encompassing name, concept, collection, descriptive data, perhaps
>entire online-flora-fauna-monographs), I believe that the core object type
>names in TCS should be revised.
>
>At the meeting in St. Petersburg, "Voucher" (a role name specific
>to the relation of a specimen to taxon name or concept) was already discussed,
>and renaming it to "Specimen" was accepted.
>
>I believe similarly, "NameObject" and "RelationshipAssertions" are too general
>and depend on the context of being embedded inside TCS.
>
>I propose to rename them to TaxonNameObject and TaxonRelationshipAssertions.
>
>Gregor

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development