[tcs-lc] difference between IsParentOf/IsChildOf; and Includes/IsIncludedIn RelationshipTypes?

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 08:48:12 PDT 2005

> 3) What is the difference between IsParentOf/IsChildOf; and

> Includes/IsIncludedIn RelationshipTypes?

> Several times during the earlier TCS/LC email exchanges, I asked for

> someone

> to distinguish between the following statements:

>   1) ConceptA is Parent of Concept B

>   2) ConceptA includes ConceptB

The difference between these 2 types of relationships is that the
parent/child relationship is parent taxon of and child taxon of and is
meant to represent the relationships defined by a taxonomist when doing
a revision. i.e. the relationships are as defined by one taxonomist for
one classification. i.e. vertical relationships within a classification

The includes/included in is to capture the equivalence between two
concepts in different classifications or revisions, i.e. horizontal
relationships between classifications.

>   [or, conversely, 1) ConceptB is Child of ConceptA; 2) ConceptB is

> included

> in ConceptA]

> I don't see how these differ, except in light of the relative
taxonomic

> Rank

> of the NameObject attached to each Concept. Thus, IsParentOf/IsChildOf

> RelationshipTypes, which I think everyone would agree are examples of

> Concept-Concept relationships, have rank-dependancy (with Rank being a

> property of a NameObject, not of TaxonConcept).

Clearly one could think of parent child as includes/included but the
intention was to be within and between classification comparison, which
seemed to be different to us when modelling. One is about building the
classification and the other is about comparing classifications. Hope
this explains this point and you agree we need both. Prometheus used
parent/child relationships while the Berlin Model uses both for example.

Jessie

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else outwith the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss
or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the
University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.