[tcs-lc] Minor modifications prior TDWG ratification vote

Jerry Cooper CooperJ at landcareresearch.co.nz
Sun Sep 18 11:08:08 PDT 2005

.. and I forgot to say that I don't think the concensus definition of incertae sedis has any practical consequence for the TCS schema. I think it is simply an 'is parent of' concept relationship  sensu the asserting author. It's just that 'incertae sedis' isn't a scientific name, but then neither is a lot of stuff we will have to pass around via concepts.

We have voted for its proposed acceptance as a TDWG standard. In general I believe that TCS has reached the stage where we need real implementations to test its utility.  So I suggest we now move to that stage and catalogue our experiences.

Jerry

>>> "Chris Lyal" <C.lyal at nhm.ac.uk> 18/09/2005 9:11:38 p.m. >>>
I agree with Jerry.  The statement is that the author recognises the taxon as a component of the taxon hierarchical level within which it is incertae sedis, but cannot place it within any of the taxa at the next heirarchical level below.  This may be interpreted as a statement about the absence of data regarding the incertae sedis taxon, or, indeed, a statement that the totality of the circumscriptions of the taxa at the next lowest rank are in their current form insufficient to encompass the full variation within the higher taxon.

Chris