[tcs-lc] attributes scientific and language

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Thu May 12 06:53:40 PDT 2005

> TCS upto 0.95.2 seems allowing Name attributes scientific="true" and
> language other than Codes simultaneously.  Isn't it better to prohibit
> to have both attributes?  It would be relevant to item 0000008.  My
> suggestion is to cover scientific names as a kind of language, i.e.
> considering Codes a kind of language, and remove scientific attribute,
> although others do not like this design.

I generally agree that there is a similarity between code and language of
vernacular. The problem is that for codes we want to use special data
structures.

For this reason it is not a very good idea to have a value attribute at all
when using w3c schema. This schema language is not able to validate a
dependency between an attribute or element value (simple content) and
structural rules.

I believe that the attribute is superfluos, the name being a scientific name is
evident from the LC-like structure being present. If the LC-like structure
contains a simple Label, this would even be guaranteed if the provider is
unable to deliver atomized information.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203