[tcs-lc] nameObjects, spellings, vernaculars, etc

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Fri May 6 05:21:17 PDT 2005

Rich

I think we agree with pretty much everything (hurray!). It does seem
to me that BOTH name-string-things (canonical name and verbatim name)
belong in the LC part of the schema
The only thing I would ask is whether, with the LC objects pulled out
of the body of the TCS element, the TCS still needs a placeholder
string with the _canonical_ name just for readability.

Rich - yes, I mean scientific-name-as-spelled-by-the-author not
author-name-as-spelled-by-the-author (the sooner you zoologists get
the equivalent of the botanists' standard abbreviations the better!)

Paul - as far as I remember canonical name means the scientific name
as correctly rendered according to the code: so no mis-spellings of
the genus, mismatched genders, quadrinomials or other extra ranks

Sally