[Tcs-lc] concepts of Higher taxa

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 31 11:16:16 PST 2005

Hi all:

   Maybe another way to look at it is as follows. In a "concept world"
it is difficult to be neutral about speaker roles. An expert either
identifies herself as asserting something, or she identifies someone
else stating something that is acceptable to her. But she couldn't just
assert something altogether without identifying anyone who vouches for
that perspective. Given this setting, it's perhaps natural to first
think "well, we have to have mechanisms so that experts can claim
authorship of an opinion." But on the other hand, it is also useful to
be able to say "this is where my work ends, if you want more, please
refer to..."

   In practice it certainly happens that someone describes a new species
but is otherwise perfectly happy with a preexisting definition for the
genus or at least the family in which it is placed. In order to model
current practice (whether we like it or not), it ought to possible for
that expert to say "I am authoring this species, but I'd like it to have
some kind of connection to an existing higher-level concept, since I
don't claim to work at that level." Now our task is to (1) specify how
to achieve that kind of connection (new relationship assertion, maybe
also a status assignment ["I accept the existing higher-level
concept"]), and also likely (2) to prepare the existing higher-level
concept for such connectability down the road, perhaps even if it's
original author didn't foresee that.

   If that sounds too involving, the alternative is to connect the new
lower-level concept to a higher-level name. In some sense we'd be losing
information here, but in another sense we'd be maintaining a less
promiscuous concept world.

   Regardless of which option is taken at a time, there have to be
obvious ways for individual working experts to say "this is where I stop
and someone else's view (or a name) takes over."

Nico