[Tcs-lc] concepts of Higher taxa

Martin Pullan M.Pullan at rbge.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 02:18:18 PST 2005

I think the nature of the disagreement about what I said earlier arises
because there is a fundamental difference of understanding of taxon
concepts. I know this is a long standing debate but it is becoming
apparent that the issues involved have not yet been resolved with repect
to how TCS should be constructed. I know Rich has already had a go at
this but I would like to have a stab at it myself.

Basically I have to take issue with the statement "publication of a new
species always changes the circumscription of the genus!"  because the
statement begs the question what is "the genus".  If we are adopting a
concept oriented point of view then there are potentially many concepts
of the genus. To my understanding at the moment it is not necessary to
identify the specific concept of the genus one is using when publishing
a new species. Therefore when there exist mulitple concepts of a genus
it is not possible to determine which genus concept is being expanded by
the publication of the new species. This could be a case for requesting
a change in the codes such that the specific concept being used must be
identified when publishing a new name. However, as it stands at the
moment, the publication of a species within a genus is a purely
nomenclatural exercise required to satisfy the demands of the binomial
naming system and has no influence whatsoever on any existing concepts
of the genus. In order for a new species to be incorporated into a
generic concept a specific act of inclusion must be performed at which
point a new generic concept is created. For simplicities sake it would
be sensible to allow new concepts constructed in this way to inherit
from the specified earlier concept. This would allow for Gregor's ad-hoc
mode of concept expansion although it would lead to an inflation of the
number of concepts in existence - ie a new higher taxon concepts would
have to be created each time a new member was added - but I don't think
this is bad thing as these would not be new "potential concepts" - they
would be new real concepts.

The above arguements of course begs the question what constitutes a new
publication of a higher taxon - I don't have an answer to this question
but I think that the strict interpretation of publication as presented
in our Prometheus work would have to be relaxed in order to support
this.

As a counter to this it could be argued that all concepts of the higher
taxon are expanded by the publication of the new member but I think that
this would be wrong because I adhere to the concept of ownership and
immutablility. That is a taxon concept as published by an individual
belongs to that person and once published cannot be changed - even by
the owner of the concept. It is a kind of version control mechanism and
one that is essential  if we are to take a concept  oriented approach
(as opposed to a name oriented approach ) to indexing into non-taxonomic
data - eg DNA sequence data, ecological data, phytochemical data etc. If
we allow the the higher taxon concepts to be expanded willy nilly merely
by the publication of new species then it becomes much harder to
identify the version of the higher taxon concept that was being adhered
to when the data was captured making it much harder to reason about the
comparability of different non-taxonomic data sets.

Martin

Dr. Martin Pullan

The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

Web site: http://www.rbge.org.uk