[Tcs-lc] concepts of Higher taxa

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Mar 30 23:17:58 PST 2005

> I disagree; publication of a new species always changes the
> circumscription of the genus! Since at least one components
> which define the genus when the new species is described
> (the new species) have changed

I agree that both of your examples represent cases where the addition of the
new species changed the concept of the genus.  But two examples doesn't
support your use of the word "always" above. Consider this case:

Genus Aus Smith SEC. [everyone up to now] is comprised of two species:  Aus
bus Smith SEC. [everyone up to now] found in Hawaii and Johnston Atoll, and
Aus xus SEC. [everyone up to now] found throughout French Polynesia.

Later, Jones decides that the population at Johnston Atoll differs from the
population in Hawaii sufficiently to warrant recognition at the species
level. Since the type specimen of Aus bus is from Hawaii, Jones describes
the population at Johnston as Aus jus Jones.

A new species was described (based on splitting a previously recognized
single species into two), but the concept circumscription of the genus "Aus"
(as defined by the total set of its members) did not change.

Obviously, though, the circumscription of Aus bus Smith SEC. [everyone up to
now] is different from Aus bus Smith SEC. Jones.

Thus, I stand by my statement that sometimes a new species description
changes the genus circumscription, and sometimes it does not.

Aloha,