[Tcs-lc] Human Readable - the thread formally known as 'Name of NomenCode'

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Tue Mar 29 23:15:59 PST 2005

Hi Greg,

Just to clarify where I am coming from. My current role is to work with
Markus Doring at Berlin. He is implementing Tapir to be able to pass
ABCD and similar protocols. I am going to build on his work so that we
can pass TCS.

TCS is not stable yet (LC was only incorporated very recently) but we
need to get it as finalised as soon as possible as it will be voted on
as a standard at TDWG in the autumn and it would be good to get systems
exchanged data before then - to show it works.

I am not trying to over rule other peoples work. I am working closely
with Jessie and Robert (the current guardians of TCS) and trying to run
every thought past the mailing list.

I am sorry if my enthusiasm for this subject makes me appear a little
aggressive and domineering.

I am currently trying to put together some instance documents using TCS
so that we can actually see how the schema works in practice. I am not
aware of any instance documents with real data for TCS versions 0.9 and
greater that make use of the nomenclatural stuff. This may be my
ignorance - which is why I am writing to the list about it.

Thanks for your patience,

Roger

Greg Whitbread wrote:

>Roger,
>
>I am a little concerned that there seems to be an element of re-writing
>of TCS as part your brief to produce, what I thought was an
>implementation of the convergent ABCD protocol (TIGIR, ???) effecting
>TCS level data interchange.  A lot of energy and consultation has been
>expended to get us thus far and it would be useful to test the resulting
>schema before we set down to produce other.  I was of the opinion that
>ABCD/DC protocol 2 would be schema independent so we should be able to
>pursue both the protocol redevelopment and community comment on the
>final form of TCS without prejudice.
>
>I hope I am not speaking out of turn here.
>
>greg
>
>On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 18:52, Roger Hyam wrote:
>

>>I am all for readability and it is something I am just sitting down to
>>look at in the TCS today. This is partially inspired by trying to put
>>together some instance documents over the weekend. This matter does not
>>only include field names but also general structure.
>>
>>How important do people consider it is to be able to read/hand craft TCS
>>instances - at least simple one?
>>
>>Roger

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development
 http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
 2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
 T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847