[Tcs-lc] Taxonomic order anyone?

Greg Whitbread ghw at anbg.gov.au
Tue Mar 29 19:34:10 PST 2005

Roger,

Having read through this discussion and the posts on "Concepts of Higher
taxa" I must admit to being a little puzzled.

Firstly if one steps back and takes a broader view of these threads they
appear to be one and the same. These issues are so fundamental to what
we are trying to achieve that they are at the very heart of what TCS is
about - and is providing.  It is important that we understand that it is
not only concepts that are "sensu" but also the relationships between
them.  When an authority publishes a treatment it is, if sometimes
implicitly, presented as a classification.   These classifications are
mere fragments. They exist in plethora.  And as we start to document
relationships between concepts, well, we will be faced with the wonder
of an infinity of intersecting hierarchies and the need for a very
generic Concept Schema.

There are few high level treatments arranging nominal concepts for our
convenience but like the rest of us you will have to build yet another
"sensu GBIF" view of that space for the purpose of defining your
product.

Secondly. These hierarchical relationships between concepts are not only
fragmentary but disrespectful of attempts to categorize relationships as
either nomenclatural or taxonomic.  It is all about concepts.  In our
system (APNI) we separated the classification trees from other kinds of
relationships because they were (have been) one to many relationships
and it is convenient at the application level to treat them as such.
However a generic solution such as TCS  needs, as we have heard, to deal
with ambiregnal taxa, multiple relationships between the same two
concepts (a Genus and its type species ) and  relationships (through
concepts) into other taxonomies.  As long as we can categorize
relationships as either being within a classification (intra) or between
(inter) classifications, and differentiate between associations that are
either nomenclatural or taxonomic, our Schema will be both useful and
re-usable.

This thread, I think, provides a very solid argument for embedding
nomenclatural relationships within the concept tree.

You will still have the problem of ordering sibling concepts but here
there are many possibilities: alphabetically (very common); page number;
GUID; etc.  We have found that it is not too difficult to reconstruct a
reasonable facsimile - or better still produce one afresh.

Some time ago I made the suggestion of a nomenclatural change from
"taxonConcept"  to "Concept" - Roger suggested "Taxon" - because I would
also like to use TCS to document concepts such as "White-Box woodland",
in part defined in terms of included taxa.  We might stretch the "taxon"
concept to cover the elements within a classification of ecological
communities but the possibilities are endless?  It is relationships
between concepts that carry the labels 'nomenclatural' and 'taxonomic'
and it is from these relationships, and the classification of them, that
we derive our taxonomic and nomenclatural systems.

greg

Greg Whitbread <ghw at anbg.gov.au>
ANBG/CPBR/ANH