[Tcs-lc] Taxonomic order anyone?

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Mar 29 19:19:50 PST 2005

> > I see no way of doing it. Anyone got any ideas?
> How does capturing this information contribute to concept circumscriptions
> and their exchange?

Nomendcurator supports sequence of lower taxa, as a pair of higher
taxon pointer and sequence integer.  Both are optional (what is the
higher taxon of the top taxon?).   The sequence number is used,
if available, to display multiple hierarhcies side-by-side where the
same names are algined on a single line when these hierachies order
names in different ways (more precisely, it is used to back to
original sequence after re-ordering for comparative display).
Sequence would be unnecessary if all data comes with perfect
circumscriptions, but it unlikely happens in some taxa,
especially in older publications.

> > Providing a representation of a monograph as published.
> Again, not the business of TCS.

Display itself is not the business of TCS, but sequence is worth to
record (and hence transfer) in some cases.  Sequence numbers
sufficiently small to put into TCS, I guess.  Which one is the biggest
group having direct lower taxa? Eucalyptus?  Less than four decimal
digits?

Sequence is not part of a classification logically, but there are
publications giving semantics to sequence.  It may be task for
taXMLit, but I don't want to see almost equivlaent but another schema.
It is already complicated enough comparing with number of players.

Cheers,
JMS