[Tcs-lc] Concepts of Higher Taxa

Nico Franz franz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 29 11:20:25 PST 2005

Hi Roger:

   I think I've read through all posts regarding this issue. Briefly,
Rich is correct in pointing out that depending on the definition based
on membership vs. diagnostic properties, one might have less or more
flexibility rearranging or reusing parent/child elements in succeeding
classifications. For high-quality data, we also discussed the option of
allowing subsequent reuse of "willfully (by the TCS) disconnected"
parent- or child-concepts ("atomic concepts" - everything but children),
so that other authors may use them even though the original author
defined them partly through their connections. What if I found a new
chimpanzee species today that fits 100% the diagnosis of the genus Pan
(is that it?) given by Jones in 1980 - that kind of situation. My
thinking is that in actual practice, people doing revisions will
frequently reuse some but not all of an existing classification. The
authors of the moss dataset decided to "seal off" their focal section of
taxonomy (genus- and species-concepts for Germany) with nominal concepts
on top (I think ordinal level, family could have worked too). One could
do the same at the bottom (nominal species concepts in a genus-level
concept revision). So I think in general, this is tricky business but
also interesting and by no means a gloomy prospect. If concepts are
stuck in their respective classifications there always the relationship
assertions to build a narrow bridge.

Nico