[Tcs-lc] Taxonomic order anyone?

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 07:28:17 PST 2005

Gregor wrote:

> However, if you want to express sequence I believe it is  sufficient to agree
> that the order of elements in the instance document must be preserved and is
> semantic. I would not like to load all data exchange with this agreement,
> however, since it is a severe burden on many potential uses of name or concept
> data. So if data go from original provider through several processes in a
> chain, I believe it would be unwise to require all of them to preserve order.

Is there nothing in the UBIF metadata stuff that could indicate a
sort order? For instance if IPNI presents data in any order at all,
it would be alphabetical. Or it might be unordered, and I'd hate for
anyone to read into that some sort of taxonomic order. Or we might
want to order names in the order they were published ... so the
attribute for the data set as a whole could be something like:
unordered, alphabetically by name, taxonomic order, date order etc.
etc.  - would we be able to come up with an exhaustive list?
Sally