[Tcs-lc] Concepts of Higher Taxa

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Tue Mar 29 05:07:19 PST 2005

Hi Rich,

Just to clarify my last bit.

>>Should we perhaps be talking more in terms of classifications (i.e.
>>trees of concepts) rather than billiard ball like concepts? An according
>>to actually freezes a tree of objects not a single object.
>>

>I don't understand this part.

What I am saying is that if I create a concept for genus G1 containing
species S1 through S10 and belonging to family F1 then I have defined a
tree of relationships. Each of those other 11 concepts have definitions
going up and down the ways which are included in 'my' concept of G1. I
have therefore defined a classification not a single object. I am saying
"I believe these things should be arranged in this way" that is very
different from defining a single taxon under the current model.

Not sure if that helps.

Roger

 Roger Hyam
 Biodiversity Informatics
 Independent Web Development
 http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
 2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
 T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847