[Tcs-lc] Multiple codes

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Mon Mar 28 22:43:30 PST 2005

> P.S. Lest one thinks that ambiregnal names are not worth the effort to track as
> two names under separate Codes, consider the situation if PhyloCode is enacted.
> Thousands of names will be adopted (initially) by the PhyloCode, and each will
> have a separate fate (both nomenclaturally, and circumscription) from the
> Linnean-Code-governed version of the name.

I agree. And in fact, quite a number of name changes actually occur under the
current codes between versions. When ICBN retroactively changed the starting
point dates for fungi and introduced the concept of sanctioned names for names
in the publications by Fries and Persoon, only relatively few names changed
their Genus/epithet form, but a large number changed their author citation.

So perhaps it is in fact name under "ICBN Tokyo", "ICBN St. Louis" etc.? To me
this such name changes are closely related to those by detecting homonymie or
genus recombinations, i.e. the name changes without any changes in the
character circumscription concept.

(And also the special ICBN Art. 59 situation that fungal organisms may have two
(teleomorphic/anamorphic) names. Here the teleomorph name has priority, and the
anamorphic names may become superfluous in the future with increasing adoption
of  molecular methods, see
http://www.belspo.be/bccm/publications/nomenclature_fungi/3-HENN100.WD.htm).
But for the purpose of recording existing knowledge about fungi, the
anamorophic names are essential for quite some time.)

I see a n-to-m relation between nomenclatural name and concept.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203