[Tcs-lc] name and concept <sigh>

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Mar 23 12:18:21 PST 2005

> > -- because "Nominal" concepts cannot be "congruent" to
> > any other concepts (as I understand the function of a TCS Nominal-type
> > TaxonConcept).
>
> How about "designate" for nominal-substantial relationship?

How do you mean the word "Designate"?

> It sounds good.  I wonder why don't you introduce two types, i.e. nominal
> one and non-nominal one to enforce the rule.

Actually, that's exactly what I was going to propose:  that there be only
two types of TaxonConcepts:  "Nominal", and some word to designate
non-Nominal (e.g., "Defined", "Circumsription", or some such thing).
However, I wanted to make sure I understood the purpose of the existing TCS
TaxonConcept types first.

> > I don't think so.  In my mind, at least, "congruent to" refers
> to a taxon
> > concept circumscription, and I do not beleive that Nominal-type
> > TaxonConcepts can have such a relationship with other TaxonConcepts.
>
> Except nominal TaxonConcepts, you mean?

No -- to me, there is no such thing as "Nominal TaxonConcept1 is congurent
to Nominal TaxonConcept2".  I believe the relationship types "is congruent
to", "is included in", "includes", "overlaps with" and "excludes" have no
real meaning for Nominal TaxonConcepts.

> It is worse than circumscriptions under TC1 and TC2, I think.
> I don't see waht TC3 and TC4 do.

Sorry -- the difference between TC1/TC2 and TC3/TC4 is that the former two
represent only the name, and the latter two represent the taxon
circumscription as defined in the original definition of the concept
(=original description of the name).  The fundamental difference to me
between a Nominal TaxonConcept and a non-Nominal TaxonConcept (e.g. Original
TaxonConcept) is that the former is AccordingTo "nobody", and the latter is
AccordingTo "somebody".  The more complete version of the sample dataset
(with AccordingTos) is below.

> It is also strange that
> TC3 is included in TC11, not TC13.

Correct! My mistake!  TC3 should be "included in" TC13 (not TC11), and TC3
should be "included in" TC14 (not TC12). I've corrected this below.

I also forgot the "<Relationships>" container for some of the TC records,
fixed below.

Aloha,
Rich

Corrected & Expanded sample dataset:

<TaxonConcepts>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC1" type="nominal">
    <Name type="scientific" nomencode="ICBN" rank="species">
      <NameSimple>Ambiregnalus namus Smith 2000</NameSimple>
    </Name>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is ambiregnal of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC2"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is type species of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC11"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="has original genus">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC11"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC2" type="nominal">
    <Name type="scientific" nomencode="ICZN" rank="species">
      <NameSimple>Ambiregnalus namus Smith 2000</NameSimple>
    </Name>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is ambiregnal of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC1"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is type species of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC12"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="has original genus">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC12"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC3" type="original">
    <Name type="scientific" id="TC1"/>
    <AccordingTo>
      <AccordingToSimple>Smith 2000</AccordingToSimple>
    </AccordingTo>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is congruent to">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC4"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is included in">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC13"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
    <SpecimenCircumscription>
      <CircumscribedBy ref="someSpecimenID" type="holotype"/>
      <CircumscribedBy ref="anotherSpecimenID"/>
    </SpecimenCircumscription>
    <CharacterCircumscription/>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC4" type="original">
    <Name type="scientific" id="TC2"/>
    <AccordingTo>
      <AccordingToSimple>Smith 2000</AccordingToSimple>
    </AccordingTo>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is congruent to">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC3"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is included in">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC14"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
    <SpecimenCircumscription>
      <CircumscribedBy ref="someSpecimenID" type="holotype"/>
      <CircumscribedBy ref="anotherSpecimenID"/>
    </SpecimenCircumscription>
    <CharacterCircumscription/>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC11" type="nominal">
    <Name type="scientific" nomencode="ICBN" rank="genus">
      <NameSimple>Ambiregnalus Smith 2000</NameSimple>
    </Name>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is ambiregnal of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC12"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is typified by">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC1"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is original genus of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC1"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC12" type="nominal">
    <Name type="scientific" nomencode="ICZN" rank="genus">
      <NameSimple>Ambiregnalus Smith 2000</NameSimple>
    </Name>
    <AccordingTo>
      <AccordingToSimple>Smith 2000</AccordingToSimple>
    </AccordingTo>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is ambiregnal of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC11"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is typified by">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC2"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="is original genus of">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC2"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC13" type="original">
    <Name type="scientific" id="TC11"/>
    <AccordingTo>
      <AccordingToSimple>Smith 2000</AccordingToSimple>
    </AccordingTo>
    <Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is congruent to">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC12"/>
      </Relationship>
      <Relationship type="includes">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC1"/>
      </Relationship>
    </Relationships>
    <CharacterCircumscription/>
  </TaxonConcept>
  <TaxonConcept id="TC14" type="original">
    <Name type="scientific" id="TC12"/>
    </Relationships>
      <Relationship type="is congruent to">
        <ToTaxonConcept ref="TC13"/>