[tcs-lc] Re: Question about XML attribute vs. element

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Tue Mar 22 04:17:02 PST 2005

I don't think I follow the arguments here, but my naive head is breaking
over the discussion when understood in naive terms. I _thought_ it was
ok to understand that if two uses of a name circumscribed two different
sets of organisms then the name  belongs to two different concepts, and
I _thought_ that there is no single organism that can be assigned to a
class named by both ICZN and ICBN (which I understand to mean there is
no such thing as something that is both a plant and an animal). When I
put these things together I can only make sense of this case being two
concepts. So I really don't understand why there is an issue here.

[All of this seems independent of the question of attribute vs. element.
For an xs:string that question is entirely a matter of taste. As a
software engineer, my taste is usually to have similar things being
treated similarly. That would argue for leaving NameSimple as an
element, even though it is very simple compared to ScientificName. If
you don't believe that NameSimple and ScientificName are closely
related, then you might argue on some other grounds that an attribute is
preferable.]