[tcs-lc] Question about XML attribute vs. element

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Mon Mar 21 16:09:29 PST 2005

In general, some of this comes down to taste and practice. Among the
differences are that attributes (a) must be unique within a given
element (b)must be of simple type (technical term; in practice, it means
no structure) (c) have indeterminate order, no matter what the order
appears to be in the file. The last is a slight oversimplification but
you should expect that applications need not deliver attributes in the
order they are in the file, and may even rearrange them without being
justly accused of changing the file.

Almost anything by Elliotte Rusty Harold is worth reading. See
http://www.cafeconleche.org/slides/sd2004west/xmlfundamentals/
for discussions of this and other questions and see
http://www.cafeconleche.org/ for lots of other neat stuff about XML
technologies.

Bob