OFF LIST: Re: [tcs-lc] My comments on the draft

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Mon Mar 21 09:10:13 PST 2005

Hi Roger,

> I would like to drop TaxonConcept as a term because we are designing a
> data structure for passing information that may be concept data or may

> I am also suggesting that I write a friendly and readable "User Guide"
> to the TCS/LC. I hope that I can then illustrate how it can be used for
> different purposes simply and without data loss.

I think writing such a user guide is an excellent suggestion. I would hope that
it could be written for (at least) two perspectives:
  a) data provider
  b) data consumer (i.e. software agent).

I think many things in current TCS are heavily geared towards a), especially by
adding many relation vocabulary terms that may be useful to publish your data
somehow. However, I felt at loss how to use TCS data from the b) perspective.
The semantics of the relationships is little defined and is left for me to
guess (as in the guide accompanying the release for TDWG 2004). Moreover, the
interaction between relationships and the different concept types seemed to me
unexplored. They are, however, essential to make any sense of the data for
consumers. For example, it seems to be that the semantics of what a "parent" or
"child" is drastically differs whether I have nomenclatural data, a hierarchy
of concepts, or a circumscription concept. In terms of circumscription
concepts, Ustilago violacea is a child of the Genus Microbotryum and the order
Uredinales (or close to it), in terms of original publication concept it is a
child of Ustilago and Ustilaginales, and in terms of nomenclature a child of
Ustilago and the order does not matter.

Jessie in the design of TCS and - as I understand you - you lean towards
combining TypeConcepts (nomenclature), specimen circumscription concepts
(extend of a definition), and hierarchy concepts (phylogeny). I do agree that
there are a number use cases where a combined view is benefical, e.g. in many
identification use cases.

However, to my user perspective it seemed much clearer that when splitting
nomenclatural from other concept relationships, I would know much better what I
can do with the data and what the provider intended to express. The semantics
of data need to be clear to both users and consumers, and should not be subject
to individual testing by consumers for each provider what it considers a
"parent" or a "basionym", and which semantics are meant in the context of a
given concept type.

My feeling is that separating the issues into different types helps many
biologists, because that is the way codes of nomenclature work for me (I cannot
speak for "all" biologists). I welcome, however, any other approach that may
ultimately be a better solution. The test case is exactly what you propose,
whether communication of a different "combined" object concept, especially to
biologists, can be achieved or not. And whether it is able to reflect current
practices in biology, as well as future practices we may hope for.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203