[tcs-lc] Questions about TCS v095

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Mar 19 13:32:06 PST 2005

I have a series of questions about v095 of TCS, as is represented by this
file:
http://tdwg.napier.ac.uk/tcml/v095.xsd

I'm not trying to spark debate -- at this point I simply want to understand
certain details of the structure.  All of my questions (for now) pertain to
the content of the "Name" element, within TaxonConcept.

1. There are two enumerated options for the "type" attribute of the "Name"
element:  "scientific", and "non-scientific".  Does non-scientific mean
"Vernacular", or might there be other classes of "non-scientific" names that
would not be considered "Vernacular"?  If the latter, would these other
subclasses of non-scientific names be respresented as more enumerations of
the "type" attribute of "Name"? Or, would they be confined to the parent
class of "non-scientific"?

2. I'm not sure I understand the annotation of the "NameSimple" element.
"Complete name as found in the data source" suggests to me that it is a
verbatim character-by-character transcription of the name as it appears in
the source (AccordingTo).  However, "May require calculation from an
atomized record of a name in the source data" implies that if it is
calculated, that the product of that calculation would match exactly the
verbatim name-string as appears in the data source -- which means that the
atomized version would be a literal atomization of the name as used. Is this
correct?  Asked another way, are both of the following two statements true?

- NameSimple always contains the verbatim name-string as used in the
AccordingTo soruce.

- Whenever NameDetailed elements are provided, NameSimple is always a
calculation of those atomized elements.

If they are both true, then the logical conclusion is that NameDetailed is
intended to represent only a parsed (atomized) version of the contents of
NameSimple. Is this correct?

3. Is the reference to the ABCD Standard in the annotation of NameDetailed
is a hold-over from v085?

4. Would there ever be NameDetailed information provided for Names that are
of type "non-scientific" (conversely: is NameDetailed limited to Names that
are of type "Scientific")?

Thanks in adavnce.

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle, PhD
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org