[tcs-lc] Next 4 days...

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Wed Mar 16 02:43:27 PST 2005

> Or, we could do what is probably the smartest solution and treat each unique
> combination of Monomial/GenusName[+SpeciesEpithet[+InfreaSpecificEpithet]]
> (where bracketed elements are optional) as a distinct name-unit (assuming that
> each of the three subunits is thought of as a protonym reference, rather than as
> an orthographic string of characters).

I think taking all three levels  above into account is a necessity. I am not
sure how any reasoning under option:

"B. Name=GenusProtonym+TerminalEpithetProtonym combination
(Botanical perspective(?); 6 distinct "Names" represented, the others
representing alternative usage contexts and orthographic variations)."

would work, I believe in Zoology it is legal to have the same subspecies name
in different species within a genus, or not?

Can you have Genus spec1 subsp. alba, Genus spec2 subsp. alba?

> But the important thing is that we all agree on how to define a "Name", and
> design the schema accordingly.

We had some previous discussions on the wiki about what a "Name" is. I am
willing to concede that a name in many senses is without the author or
publication reference, e.g. when talking about homonyms = same-names.

However, by including the concept of protonyms, implicitly you define a name-
with-citation, where citation is out of author, year, publication, as much as
the respective code requires to make the object unique. The "nomenclatural name
object" is a combination of 1 to three uninomials or epithets together with the
citation.

I belief if you have homonyms, you cannot put the LSID on a level that combines
the homonyms. Homonyms are not known a priori, but detected. So each of the
homonymic nomenclatural objects needs its own LSID (or other GUID).

Assume two people create

Concept1 based on: Genus speciesname1 Author1
Concept2 based on: Genus speciesname1 Author2

not knowing the the two nomenclatural objects are homonymic, this must then at
a LATER time be resolved by appropriate mapping of nomenclatural and concept
IDs.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203