[tcs-lc] Equivalence of multiple scripts

Nozomi Ytow nozomi at biol.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Mar 15 11:00:33 PST 2005

Hi all,

we have five scripts to express sakura, a Japanese word meaning
cherry.  They are two Kanji characters, Hiragana, Katakana, and
Roma-ji.  UTF-8 provides six ways to encode it, so we may have
six name-strings.  The word means Prunus x yedoensis  often, or
also includes Prunus jamasakura and Prunus verecunda sometime.
Whatever the designated concept is, these strings are equivalent
as name literals.  TCS is designed to manage this equivalence
by relationship between nomincal TaxonConept.

If LC-relevant elements are moved to top level, it would be
better to generalise to name-string relevant elements.
Here I mean name-string (or name-literal) but not name;
concept dependent objects and relationships should be
distinguished from name-literals and their equivalance.

Or, I may be misleaded by the name TaxonConcept...
it may be covered by relationship between
"nominal concepts", tangled word for me...

Cheers,
JMS
--
Dr. Nozomi "James" Ytow
Institute of Biological Sciences / Gene research center