[tcs-lc] Re: You don't need embedded names to do concepts (Roger Hyam)

Mark Watson M.Watson at rbge.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 02:02:27 PST 2005

I would like to make a short post to say that I fully endorse with
Roger's proposal to treat scientific names (and the nomenclatural data
that goes with them) as a top level names object and separate them from
taxon concepts. This follows the clear separation of nomenclature from
classification that was at the heart of our Prometheus Taxonomic Model.
In my view the Linnean Core should only provide the structure for the
scientific name and nomenclature data and the TCS should only concern
itself with the taxon concept/classification elements and link to the
Linnean Core for the nomenclature elements.
Regards
Mark

Dr Mark F. Watson
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, 20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR,
U.K.
Tel: +44 (0)131 248 2828   Fax: +44 (0)131 248 2901

RBGE website: www.rbge.org.uk
Prometheus website: www.prometheusdb.org
Flora of China website: flora.huh.harvard.edu/china
Umbellifer website: www.umbellifers.com