[tcs-lc] Relationships

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Thu Mar 10 04:13:53 PST 2005

Marc's piece is way cool! (Though maybe MoReTax is to taxonomist as
TaxonConcept is to ecologist, i.e. something you believe in principle is
necessary but are likely to ignore because you accept the costs of doing
so but not the costs of learning enough to use effectively. Hence the
need for tools implementing it whose use has lower cost than ignoring
the issue...)

I think an extremely useful component for developers would be a module
that accepts a set of relationships and returns one of Marc's
transmissability types. Such a module would have bindings in several
programming languages, and would be part of a suite of validation tools
usable with processors of tcs compliant instance documents. Each tool
would be devoted to validating some constraint that is expressed by the
schema designers but not validatable under XML Schema. Support for this
kind of suite should be a goal of all schema designers. See (and comment
on!) http://wiki.cs.umb.edu/twiki/bin/view/UBIF/WhatIsNotConstrained

Bob