[tcs-lc] Names as Objects

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Mar 9 10:22:51 PST 2005

> I dislike the TCS with type="nominal" approach, because thus I
> can not separate issues. There is no way in w3c schema to ONLY use TCS
with type attribute
> having value = "nominal".

Why is that a bad thing?

> You MUST use the entire type and since that the is a
> complex type containing most TCS types (or containing elements
> that depend on
> TCS literature and voucher) almost the entire TCS schema.

Well...how else *would* you pass voucher data and literature data?  I don't
believe that the "v090b-RLP" versions of the schema that I sent last night
require any of those elements -- unless you specifically need to pass
details about those elements.  There could always be whatever minimal set of
"XxxxSimple" elements embedded within the TCS/LC instance that you need.
But even if we did treat names as top-level objects, wouldn't it be
preferable to keep voucher and literature details external to this, in their
own top-level element containers (with internal reference pointers)?  Or do
you want to embed an entire literature schema and an entire specimen data
schema within TCS/LC "Name" container?

> You cannot have a new publication already indexed in a database
> that indexes
> already published publications. Putting it first in the indexing
> database would
> be illegal under the nomenclatural codes, since then the name
> would first have
> been invalidly published.

Hmmm....not in ICZN.  An indexing database does not constitute a
"publication", and therefore adding a name to an indexing database prior to
the publication of the new name does not render it invalidated (unless the
index is somehow "published", as defined by ICZN).