[tcs-lc] Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis H.Koba & T.Tateoka

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Wed Mar 9 05:28:34 PST 2005

Jessie wrote:
> the simplest would be to have taxonconcept for the variety and include
> references to the other realted concepts which we assume can be resolved, if not
> these would need to be included. I have only filled inthe name simple and
> AccordingTo simple but hte detailed elements could be filled out.
>
> <TaxonConcepts>
>   <TaxonConcept id="co1" type="original">
>    <Name type="scientific">
>     <NameSimple>Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis H.Koba & T.Tateoka</NameSimple>
>    </Name>
>    <AccordingTo>
>     <AccordingToSimple>H.Koba & T.Tateoka</AccordingToSimple>
>    </AccordingTo>
>    <Kingdom>Plant</Kingdom>
>    <Rank>variety</Rank>
>    <Relationships>
>     <Relationship type="is child of">
>      <ToTaxonConcept ref="co2"/>
>     </Relationship>
>    </Relationships>
>   </TaxonConcept>
> <TaxonConcept id="co2" type="original">
>    <Name type="scientific">
>     <NameSimple>Poa acroleuca Steud.</NameSimple>
>    </Name>
>    <AccordingTo>
>     <AccordingToSimple>Steud.</AccordingToSimple>
>    </AccordingTo>
>    <Kingdom>Plant</Kingdom>
>    <Rank>variety</Rank>
>    <Relationships>
>     <Relationship type="is child of">
>      <ToTaxonConcept ref="co3"/>
>     </Relationship>
>    </Relationships>
>   </TaxonConcept>
>   <TaxonConcept id="co3" type="original">
>    <Name type="scientific">
>     <NameSimple>Poa L.</NameSimple>
>    </Name>
>    <AccordingTo>
>     <AccordingToSimple>Linnaeus</AccordingToSimple>
>    </AccordingTo>
>    <Kingdom>Plant</Kingdom>
>    <Rank>variety</Rank>
>    <Relationships>
>     <Relationship type="has child ">
>      <ToTaxonConcept ref="co2"/>
>     </Relationship>
>    </Relationships>
>      </TaxonConcept>

Gregor:

In my mind there is a difference between a nomenclatural relationship and a
taxonomic one. I believe this is how biology operates, please some biologist
correct me if I am wrong! Let us assume that "Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis
H.Koba & T.Tateoka" was a really bad idea (I apologize to Koba & Tateoka, this
is purely hypothetical) and since the original publication it has been detected
that is really should be a species and placed in the genus Festuca. So now we
have:

Accepted name: Festuca ryukyuensis (H.Koba & T.Tateoka) Someone else
 synonymous with: "Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis H.Koba & T.Tateoka"

Assuming we have data on ecological information about endophytic fungi living
in the grass and I want to study the distribution of these fungi in grass
genera. I have been doing very similar stuff, albeit on Caryphyllaceae myself,
so I think that is a realistic example.

If I have data that identified a grass as "Poa acroleuca var. ryukyuensis" I
would like to have a hierarchy, that allows me to infer that I need to
aggregate the information under the genus Festuca.

If the nomenclatural relations are clearly separated from a current
phylogenetic viewpoint, this is easy. If there is a general parent/child
relationship, I ask myself how do I tell the difference.

I am repeating myself here, but I believe the problem of TCS is that the
semantics of the relationship depends on which concept type is on either side
of a relationship. I do not see how to do it differently. In the example, it
even seems to depend in very complex ways on synonymization. Note that Poa is
considered parent of Poa acroleuca which is considered parent of var.
ryukyuensis. Poa acroleuca still is taxonomic child of Poa (so aggregate data
there), but since var. ryukyuensis is a syn of Festuca ryukyuensis, that parent
relationship needs to be suppressed in the analysis. To me this is a bit of a
nightmare.

Sorry that any attempt for real examples gets so complicated...

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203