[tcs-lc] Original name spelling

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at BBA.DE
Tue Mar 8 08:57:10 PST 2005

Jessie wrote:

> hmmm not sure that's a good idea - I think Taxon Concept authors want their
> original orthography captured - and probably returned. so if someone asked for
> the name of all concepts they would expect the original orthography returned -
> no? If this way would users have to know that there were different names in the
> Concpet and they would have to decide which name to request - could get
> confusing?

Unless taxon concept authors no longer fall under the codes of nomenclature,
they can not possibly expect to have erroneous names returned.

If I publish a name that does not follow the rules described in ICBN (e.g.
"Colletotrichum citricolum") and Paul Kirk sees it, I would desire that it be
cited in the correct way in the future. There is no publication associated with
such corrections in ICBN.

ICZN is somewhat different in this respect - I believe.

But you are fully correct, there is room for confusion, so it is desirable to
a) have an original spelling of the name (or perhaps VerbatimName?) and b) have
room for an annotation to provide background on why the spelling had to be
corrected.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203