[tcs-lc] Modularisation of standards - identification of names

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Tue Mar 8 04:02:58 PST 2005

Sally Hinchcliffe wrote:
[..]

> Of course, to a computer the inclusion of the second set of
> information within the name is redundant but we shouldn't
> underestimate the amount of human eyeballing of XML data goes
> on.

Yes we should. Hah, hah, just serious.   :-)

-------------
> ...<something> was the one thing that made implementing TCS a
> bit of a challenge for IPNI

As Stan Blum often points out, part of the  IETF standards Best Current
  Practices http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2026 recommends
that something not become a Draft Standard (i.e. a Standard) until it
has had two independent implementations exhibited. TDWG should do that
too, but it comes with many social issues having to do with the time
available to implementers. Industrial standards work often includes
employees who are specifically tasked with support for standards work.
Biodiversity informatics rarely has this "luxury".
-------------

>>[Note that it is much harder reliably to assign and police meaningful
>>identifiers for name elements if they are fully embedded.  There would
>>certainly be no way to enforce a single consistent representation in all
>>occurrences for the same <Name> across different <TaxonConcept> elements.]

Actually, the unique particle attribution constraint I mentioned in a
"Yes we should" above in which I advocate a serious, but probably
hopeless, position. (But not more hopeless than the belief that
everywone who wants name standards can be made to agree that they also
need concept standards and will therefore happily use them).

> One thing about XML that I've found, if you try and approach it with
> an OO programmer hat on and make it enforce business rules,
> then you very quickly get frustrated, or end up with very
> complicated schemas.

That's because XML is declarative, not procedural. Enforcement of rules
in any system is often done by giving a set of procedures which, when
followed, by definition assure compliance. The best one can hope for
from a declarative language is usually processing that tells you when
you violate the description and what is the evidence that such violation
occurred.

Time to take of your OO programmer hat and put on your Lisp programmer
hat. :-) But possibly more useful is to rely heavily on databinding
frameworks (aka Schema Compilers) like Castor
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-castor/
which are designed to turn the declaritive types and constraints of
XML-Schema into classes and methods in procedural OOP languages. In
another ten years, eyeballing XML instance documents will be akin to
eyeballing assembly language output from compilers. You do it when you
suspect the compilation tools, not when you suspect the high-level
specifications.

Bob Morris

--
Robert A. Morris