[tcs-lc] Is nomenclatural type assingment taxonomic/concept based

Gregor Hagedorn G.Hagedorn at bba.de
Mon Mar 7 02:57:32 PST 2005

I cannot see whether someone else has responded to Nicos question of types
(argument for wiki... :-) )

Nico writes:

"I have a few questions. Do this Objective/Subjective distinction help us? Is
it feasible and desirable to have one schema handle some name relationships
(homotypic ones) that are prescribed in the Codes but not others (heterotypic
situations)? And what about the long list of [para/iso/ex/plasto/epi/lecto/...]
typifications which clearly reflect taxonomic judgment?"

Gregor: Can you elaborate that? I think I disagree. Like almost any
nomenclatural statement, some judgement (knowledge of true publication dates,
rules of nomenclature and assessement whether these are followed is involved. I
believe that assessing the kind of type that a specimen is in relation to a
nomenclatural name falls into the same category. This category in my think is
very different from heterotypic synonmyization based on the opinions about the
extent of a taxon circumscription concept.

Gregor Hagedorn (G.Hagedorn at bba.de)
Institute for Plant Virology, Microbiology, and Biosafety
Federal Research Center for Agriculture and Forestry (BBA)
Königin-Luise-Str. 19           Tel: +49-30-8304-2220
14195 Berlin, Germany           Fax: +49-30-8304-2203