[tcs-lc] Names as Objects

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Sun Mar 6 02:06:40 PST 2005

You can use the "union" type. There are examples in UBIF.EnumLib.xsd
There is no real support for boolean combinations in the XML type
system, so if your combinations get complex, the unions get complex too,
but as the examples in UBIF show, for simple cases it works OK. However,
If you are after structural decomposition, like "Person is a kind of
Agent" you probably want to use the classical type derivations system,
most likely type "extension". In this case, the really common stuff is
usually put in an abstract type which is never instantiated. There are
examples in UBIF, as I recall, and certainly in SDD

Bob

p.s.
Since this topic has nothing obvious to do with "Names as Objects", am I
supposed to change the Subject line in the email?