[tcs-lc] Taxonomic Product or Taxonomic Data

Roger Hyam roger at hyam.net
Sat Mar 5 13:21:40 PST 2005

Hi Everyone,

This may seem like quite an high level topic and you will have to excuse
me if this ground has already been covered but I am trying to nail down
the scope of the TCS/LC schema a little more in my own mind and need to
gather opinions on the high level goals.

Are we passing the product of taxonomic research or raw taxonomic data?

Either:

1) We imagine taxonomists doing their work and then publishing the
results using the TCS/LC schema. Basically publishing taxon concepts,
when to use them, what to call them and how they relate, what can and
can't be said about data tagged with different names and concepts etc.
We probably have about this level of coverage in the schema at the moment.

2) We imagine taxonomists publishing everything they do using the
schema. Every specimen examined and what it was identified as. All the
'agents' they know about and the different teams they have worked in and
how their names have been abbreviated and where they have collected etc
etc. The nitty gritty of stuff that would be very useful for some one
producing a monographic revision to have to hand but that an ecologist
or biomedical prospector wouldn't care about at all.

I think that some of the discussions that we are having at the moment
would be resolved if we had a definite policy on which of these two
approaches we were following.

I'd be grateful for peoples thoughts on this. I consider 2 to include 1
so there is no option of saying we want to do both!

Best regards,

Roger

  Roger Hyam
  Biodiversity Informatics
  Independent Web Development
  http://www.hyam.net  roger at hyam.net
  2 Janefield Rise, Lauder, TD2 6SP, UK.
  T: +44 (0)1578 722782 M: +44 (0)7890 341847