[tcs-lc] Clarification

Kennedy, Jessie J.Kennedy at napier.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 07:22:05 PST 2005

Rich said:
>My point was that
>when I (and I
>think many taxonomists) apply a scientific name to a specimen via an
>identification event using a mental construct of a concept,
>that concept may
>or may not happen to be congruent with one or more particular
>publsished and
>well-defined concepts, but was not directly connected to the
>identification
>event.  It's a sublte but important difference.

it's subtle but only important to someone using your identification data, in their analysis. We need to get good concepts into a system which also act as references for names represented to an agreed standard and also store any identification data so people can find things that might be of interest in their work - but to start saying that what was in your mind every time you use a name for a concept is a potentially new concept and we should record this as such is I believe unhelpful just now.

Jessie